POSITION: Community Development Office Executive Director
CLASSIFICATION: Regular Full-time Professional
- Flexible work schedule
- Paid Holiday Leave: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving
- Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- Paid Time Off (PTO)-
- Year One (8 working days per year).
- 2-10 years (16 working days per year)
- 10+ years (24 working days per year)
- Option to participate in Aflac Insurance Program through payroll deduction.
SCOPE OF POSITION: Responsible to the Joint Steering Committee for the full range of
activities – coordination of the program of work; organizational structure and procedures;
motivation of volunteers; income and expenditures; maintenance of membership; employment, training and supervision of staff; interpretation of policy; maintenance of office quarters and long-range planning.
REPORTS TO: Joint Steering Committee, which consists of 5 reps from the Gothenburg
Improvement Company board, Chamber Board and City Rep.
LIAISES WITH: City Administrator and other City officials, Dawson Area Development Director, other area Chamber of Commerce Directors and city, county and state officials.
1. Daily operations of Community Development Office for Chamber of Commerce and
Gothenburg Improvement Company, including all administrative, operational, personnel
and financial requirements of that office.
2. Prepare and manage fiscal budget, which includes annual, monthly and quarterly
financial statements. Generate reports and agendas for Chamber and Gothenburg
Improvement Company Boards of Directors and all related sub-committees.
3. Draft or review and approve written correspondence, press releases and promotional
literature originating from the Community Development Office.
4. Coordinate support to local economic development agencies, volunteers, business
representatives and officials.
5. Plan, organize and conduct various meetings (i.e. general membership, luncheons,
Business After Hour’s, retreats, community information, Ribbon-Cuttings, First Dollars,
Open Houses, Harvest Festival, other community celebrations, etc.)
6. Publish monthly newsletter, various promotional/informational fliers and advertising and programs for special events.
7. Responsible for hiring, training and supervision for staff and volunteers.
8. Recruit, coordinate, supervise and maintenance of membership/stockholder’s for The
Chamber and Gothenburg Improvement Company 9. Review, monitor and help implement activities of all Chamber and Gothenburg Improvement Company boards and committees. 10. Coordinate action plans to enhance the quantity and retention of general membership and stockholders. 11. Some travel, industry conferences, evening and weekend hours will be a requirement of this position.
LIAISON FUNCTION RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Act as coordinating link between the Chamber, Gothenburg Improvement Company and
City Hall to provide continuity of services for the community and to the membership.
2. Promote a positive working relationship with committee and board volunteers, staff
members, government officials, other organizations representatives and community
members at large.
3. Develop and maintain a working relationship with business leaders, legislators and
public officials while enhancing communication between them and the general
membership of the Chamber and the Gothenburg Improvement Company.
4. Represent the Community Development Office at local, state and national meetings and
5. Work closely with county Chambers of Commerce and Dawson Area Development
Office to achieve common goals.
PUBLIC RELATIONS FUNCTION RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Serve as official spokesperson of the Community Development Office.
2. Develop and/or approve all publicity referring to the organization, its offices, directors,
membership and personnel.
3. Provide the public with information on Community Development Office activities and
coordinate news releases.
4. Make personal appearances and presentations to various groups as needed.
Bachelor’s degree or above in related field preferred and/or has previous chamber,
organizational management, community/economic development, public administration or other
job experience relevant to the requirements of the position. Demonstration of efforts to upgrade
management skills through educational and/or professional training programs a plus.
Must pass a post offer pre-employment screening.
The Executive Director shall perform any duties as specified by the Joint Steering Committee,
Chamber of Commerce Board and Gothenburg Improvement Company Board.
All staff including the Executive Director shall fill in as needed in all areas of Community
Development Office operations. All Community Development Office staff shall work together as